Five Points of Human Sanctity
The Five Points are an essential tool of SolGov's foreign and technological policy. They are a set of laws restricting research into certain technologies deemed to be damaging to humanity as a whole or capable of causing a mass extinction event. The Five Points are:
- It is forbidden to create artificial intelligences capable of unlimited self-improvement, especially self-improvement of its self-improving features.
- It is forbidden to create automated systems capable of automatic self-replication, especially self-replicating nanomachines.
- It is forbidden to modify a non-sapient species in such a way as to make it sapient, or vice-versa.
- It is forbidden to modify a human brain in such a way that it gains cognitive abilities beyond that of a natural human.
- It is forbidden to modify a human body beyond giving every human the ability to live life as a natural human does.
The Five Points are one of the highest elements of Confederate law, a legacy of its origins in the Icarus Front and are individually encoded into the constitution or legal code of all SolGov member states. SolGov also has stated its intention to police states that fail to comply to the Five Points and has used this power to retain power over secessionist groups many times over the centuries.
All states known to humanity comply with the Five Points, although for the Skrell and Unathi this is largely out of disinterest, rather than the influence of SolGov.
The sole known exception was Almach Association, which existed between 2562 and 2564. The Association's disregard for the Five Points was the primary point of contention between them and SolGov, and despite diplomatic efforts from both sides, eventually devolved into the Almach War. As a result, the region fell under Skrellian rule as the Almach Protectorate, and is known to continue violating the Five Points to some degree, though under "strict oversight" to prevent dangerous results.